Part-Time (25 hours per week)
Fixed term – 36 months
FTE Salary £34,169
Actual Salary Pro-Rata £23,075 (25 hours per week)
The role involves a combination of office-based and home-based working with regular travel within the Synod area and on occasion, in the UK. The Synod Office is at 4 College Lane, Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 8JJ.
The United Reformed Church (Northern Province) Trust Limited is a charitable company, acting as trustee for some 150 church, residential and other properties mainly in north east England, as well as for the funds of the Northern Synod of the URC. It exercises oversight of and provides advice and grants to local churches across the region. It is one of the 13 synods which make up the United Reformed Church (URC) with oversight of the local churches and activities of the URC in the North-East.
We are looking for a Property Officer to ensure properties are effectively maintained and to develop a Property Strategy. The post-holder will report to the Property Sub-committee Convenor and will liaise with the Synod Listed Buildings Advisory Committee Convenor when necessary. As part of the Field Support Team, you will work closely with the Trust Officer as well as developing effective working relationships with property consultants, estate agents and church members.
Key areas of responsibility
Local Church Property Support
- Church visits and developing relationships with church members and other stakeholders
- Assistance with the interpretation of quinquennial inspection reports and implementation of their recommendations
- Overseeing procedures for maintenance and improvement including advice on funding and assistance with applications
- Assisting churches with legal compliance on their properties
- Commenting on proposals for works prior to submission to Synod committees
- Providing training to church officers
- Developing logbooks for use by local churches
- Overseeing the arrangements for quinquennial surveys
- Liaising with Trust Officer and professional advisers regarding the purchase, sale or leasing of Trust land or buildings
- Visiting properties with estate agents and surveyors
Synod Property Management
- Maintaining database of Trust properties
- Managing those properties for which the Trust has direct responsibility, including:
- Ensuring liaison with insurers, utilities and local authorities
- Ensuring appropriate oversight and repairs
- Liaising with contractors for maintenance works
- Developing a strategy for location and maintenance of properties, and maximising their use and value
- Attending meetings of the Trust Property Subcommittee
- Attending and assisting the Listed Buildings Advisory Committee, possibly as its Secretary
- Participating in regional and national networks, including attendance of meetings of the URC Buildings Forum.
You will need to:
- be capable of working on your own initiative
- be able to build effective working relationships
- have a track record in a related area of property management
If you are enthusiastic, highly motivated, and like to do a good job working as part of a team with an interesting property portfolio, then we would like to hear from you.
This role is subject to DBS clearance.
The post holder will be expected to be sympathetic to the values and ethos of the United Reformed Church.
If you would like to receive further information about this opportunity, please e-mail Izzy Milburn to request an application pack: isabelle@IMHR.biz.
The closing date for applications is midday 12th March 2021. Shortlisting will be completed on Monday 22nd March, 2021 with interviews for shortlisted candidates taking place on Monday 29th March, 2021.